Saturday, December 16, 2006

Attitude Makes the Day


Well, this week I have pneumonia and it looks like I'll be ill through the Christmas Holiday.

So Last week I wrote about how important it is to laugh, but this week I'm revising that sentiment a bit to warn everyone out there who may have a pulmonary crisis this week (like I do), laughing can actually hurt more than it helps.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, my whole family laughs a lot. Our sense of humor is what ties us together. We laugh at ourselves, at each other and at all the strange things we discover out there in the world. So now that the family is beginning to show up at my house for the holiday it has been much more difficult for me to maintain my lack of affect. The problem is that when I laugh it starts a chain reaction of coughing, chocking and sputtering between each gulp of air. All the commotion sounds pretty silly so that gets everyone laughing harder - now at my expense - which makes my attempts to keep from laughing harder still. Consequently I have been laughing myself into a coma about every 25 minutes or so since they arrived.

My whole body aches. The laughing and consequent coughing has stretched muscles all the way up and down my sides so when I'm able to relax I still can't get comfortable. So I sit in some strange position, which of course strikes someone funny and the laughing starts all over again.

My son wanted to show us some funny video clips he found on You Tube when he got here tonight, and that got us going again. And then there were the Ugly Dog Pictures and a few jokes that just couldn't be passed up...By now I think I'm ready for the morgue. But I guess if one is bound to die, it wouldn't be so bad to die laughing.

For a few days I was feeling bad that I wasn't out there buying gifts and getting the decorations out, but now, after doing some on-line shopping and sending my hubby to get the tree all by himself, things are starting to look up again. Even in spite of serious illness, we have found a way to make the most of the holiday season. I'm not one to complain much, but I'm always in favor of making adjustments in order to allow life to be as fun and fulfilling as possible. I refuse to let physical limitations rob me and my family of a great time together. So I guess that is the theme of this blog, Attitude is the definitive ingredient to making any holiday great~ choose to entertain the happy and enjoyable themes and leave the rest behind. Life is too short to waste time complaining instead of loving what we can make out of what we already have. Smile, it will make your day!

No comments: