Thursday, November 02, 2006

Overcoming the Winter Blues



There is no need to suffer with the Winter Blues when there are some simple remedies that can have you singing-in-the-rain in no time at all. Now I'm not talking about a quick fix to a true clinical depression; for that you may need to seek professional help. But I do have the cure to those dark day blues that can catch us by suprise during the winter months. The following remedies may sound silly or even foolish, but I promise you that if you take them to heart and practice them when you are feeling down, you will start feeling better in no time.



  1. Smile. It sounds silly, but studies have shown
    that even a fake smile produces "feel good" chemicals
    (endorphins) in your brain. Go find a mirror and force
    yourself to smile for at least five minutes. Go ahead, make faces at yourself if you want to. If your not
    laughing by within a minute or two, go outside and smile at strangers. Sound
    Strange? (You're probably smiling at the thought of it,
    right now!) It may be strange, but it works, I guarantee
    it!
  2. Exercise. A good swift walk around the block
    or 15 minutes of aerobics will stimulate your brain's "feel
    good" chemicals. If you get into the habit of doing a
    little daily exercise, you can reduce your recurring feelings
    of despair by a drastic degree. If aerobics isn't your
    thing, just go for a 20 minute walk every day.
  3. Keep a journal. In your journal write about
    whatever is bothering you. Write your feelings in all
    their blackness. Write about what part of the situation
    you did have, or could have had, some choice, some control
    over part of it. Then before you're through, for each
    entry, end the list with at least one thing you like about
    yourself. Then write one thing you would like to do to
    help someone else, (open a door for an older person at
    the mall, say something sweet to a child, etc.)
  4. Do a good deed. This is another of those weird
    suggestions that sounds unrealistic. However, over and
    over, people have experienced, and studies confirm, that
    when you get out of your egocentric world of "woe-is-me,"
    and spend time helping others, you tend to forget about
    your problems, and your dreary feelings disappear. It's
    like nature's magical remedy. Even Oprah recommends serving others as a way to save ourselves. Try it- it works!
  5. Talk to someone. Find someone you can trust.
    I don't mean your best friend who has, in the past, "leaked"
    something you have told them in confidence. I mean someone
    you KNOW will not tell anyone and who will not judge you
    or try to tell you HOW to feel. Someone who will just
    let you get it out of your system without trying to "fix
    it." If you're so inclined, cry while you talk. Studies
    (yes I read a lot of studies), have shown that depression's
    chemicals, produced by your brain, come out in your tears.
    Crying is a wonderful way to relieve yourself of the excess.
    It hurts for a while, but generally, afterward, you will
    feel much better.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Great advice. I have tried a lot of these things and feel that they work. Mostly when I take a walk when I'm down, it doesn't suddenly make me feel happy, but it does make me feel better. The service that you mentioned, now that works. It almost surprises me sometimes, but when I'm down and I serve someone else, I typically forget that I'm down. ;)

-Jay (fictionfixation.blogspot.com)

Karen Dougherty said...

Great Jay, I'm glad to have someone's oppionion for whom the formula has worked. It does work people! Give it a try. --Karen--